POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Disable splash window : Re: Disable splash window Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disable splash window
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 28 Sep 2005 22:24:57
Message: <433b5079$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Tim Cook wrote:
>

>>> I would really appreciate if you'd not spread such misinformation.
>>> You don't have to click on anything when starting POV-Ray and nearly
>>> every program i ever used on Windows shows a splash screen when
>>> starting.
>>

>> I just started a render from Moray, and the splash screen comes up.
>> POV was in fact running and rendering, but the splash screen was being
>> displayed.  It does not disappear until you click 'ok'.  Period.
>

> I repeat: The last POV-Ray version i used on Windows (which is 3.6) does
> not require you to click on anything when starting it and i have no
> reason to assume newer version behave differently.  If you think this
> description is inaccurate you are invited to accurately mention what you
> observe differently (so it can be checked if this might require a fix)
> but everything posted on this so far is either bluntly wrong (Darren:
> "merely refreshing the splash screen adds perhaps five or ten seconds to
> each frame of animation", Dre: "click ok all the time") or has nothing
> to do with this (starting renders from Moray).
>
> Christoph

Yes, most Windows programs have splash screens.  Many (not by any means
all) allow it to be turned off in the program's options or preferences.
  After all, when you've already seen it for the 595th time (more or
less  ;-)  ) it does get rather redundant and boring, even if it does go
away automatically after a short delay.

And as to:

Christoph Hormann wrote:
 > Well what's obvious is that the only reason you would want to disable
 > the splash screen is to obscure the fact that POV-Ray is called and this
 > it both unethical and illegal.

I don't understand this answer at all.  If I'm running my copy of POVRay
(or whatever splash-screened program) on my own system, who the h... am
I going to obscure this fact from???

Finally, I do wish you would tone down some of your answers.  They
sometimes come across as very condescending and arrogant.  Not always
nor frequently -- but occasionally.  You are certainly knowledgeable and
your answers are accurate (you are a POV-team member, right?).  However,
the way *some* of your responses come across give a very negative
impression.  I'm sure this is not your intention, but...

I'm also sure you get tired of answering the same old questions by about
the 156th time, but I think you could exhibit a bit less impatience
about it.

      -=- Larry -=-